Developmental editing is for completed manuscripts only. If you need support for a work in progress, please check out Story Coaching.
What is a developmental edit?
It is a chance to have someone who doesn't sleep next to you or sit across the table from you at Thanksgiving read your story and provide honest, productive feedback.
While reading your entire manuscript, I will make comments using MS Word's Track Changes feature as well as create an editorial letter with feedback focused on characterization, plot structure, author voice, and other problem areas.
After you receive your edit, you will have the opportunity to discuss what I noted either through email or a check-in chat (voice, video, or messaging.)
This is not a copyedit. Though I may note basic punctuation and grammar errors if I see them, this is a big picture edit focused on the story and characterization aspects listed above.
This is not a beta read. Ideally, you should have already implemented feedback from your beta readers to receive the most benefit from a developmental edit.
A few things you should know:
- I offer a free 1,000 word sample edit to demonstrate my critique style and to get a feel for what your manuscript will require.
- You will receive an estimate of total cost and completion date with the sample edit.
- Average investment is $ 0.01 per word. This may vary depending on the state of the manuscript.
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a spot on my editorial calendar. The remainder is due when the edits are delivered.
- All payments are made through PayPal.
- Sadly, I cannot guarantee my coaching and/or edits will garner you an agent, publication, fortune, fame, or anything of the like. *sigh* I wish I could.
- I will not disclose or publicly post any portion of your material or our conversations without prior written consent.